Category Archives: What's Up….
Hey, kids! Look at all the beautiful leaves. And that view, wow! Just wow! It sure is spectacular up here on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Don’t you think, kids? Kids? Kids…what are you doing to Mommy? And what’s all that red…stuff… OH DEAR GOD!
Yes, folks, Z-Burbia 2: Parkway To Hell is live and ready for your eyeholes to read its undead goodness! UNDEAD GOODNESS!
Z-Burbia has been in the Amazon charts for a month now, which is pretty, pretty, pretty cool. Hopefully fans that picked that one up will pick up Z-Burbia 2! It continues the story of Jason “Jace” Stanford and his struggle to keep that suburban dream even in the face of the zombie apocalypse. It also expands the scope of the setting and brings way more of Asheville and Western North Carolina into the story.
But don’t take my word for it, here’s the official description:
“The Grove Park Inn.
From the early 1900s right up to Z-Day, the Grove Park Inn was the place for the affluent to stay when vacationing in Asheville, NC. Everyone from F. Scott Fitzgerald to President Barak Obama stayed at the Grove Park. Artists, actors, diplomats, masters of industry, all called it a temporary home at one point or another. But that was before the zombie apocalypse.
Now the five story stone, brick, and wood luxury inn is home to a different element. An unknown element. A heavily armed element.
With Whispering Pines being rebuilt, Jace “Long Pork” Stanford has nothing better to do than find out who the newcomers are. Well, while he’s not busy dealing with the ever present Z hordes. Or running for his life from paramilitary mercenaries. Or possibly blowing up more of the zombie infested city because he can’t help pressing buttons. Buttons are meant to be pressed, even in the apocalypse, right?
Looks like it’s just another day in Z-Burbia!”
Sounds great, right? RIGHT? Right…that’s what I thought. Winky face!
So get yourself over to Amazon and snag a copy of Z-Burbia 2: Parkway To Hell! You’ll want to get this one so you are ready for Z-Burbia 3: Estate of the Dead when it comes out! OH, YEAH!!!
Just wanted to share a quick link! I was interviewed by ashevilleblog.com since my latest novel, Z-Burbia, is set right here in the Cesspool of Sin itself, Asheville, NC! Have a read and be sure to check out Z-Burbia and all the gory satire and zombie horror I’ve packed into it!
It is now available on Kindle! Z-Burbia: A Zombie Novel!
Whispering Pines is a classic, quiet, private American subdivision on the edge of Asheville, NC, set in the pristine Blue Ridge Mountains. Which is good since the zombie apocalypse has come to Western North Carolina and really put suburban living to the test!
Surrounded by a sea of the undead, the residents of Whispering Pines have adapted their bucolic life of block parties to scavenging parties, common area groundskeeping to immediate area warfare, neighborhood beautification to neighborhood fortification.
But, even in the best of times, suburban living has its ups and downs what with nosy neighbors, a strict Home Owners’ Association, and a property management company that believes the words “strict interpretation” are holy words when applied to the HOA covenants. Now with the zombie apocalypse upon them even those innocuous, daily irritations quickly become dramatic struggles for personal identity, family security, and straight up survival.
Welcome to normal life in Z-Burbia!
While I have spent a lot of my writing career playing in the world of the undead, I have mainly been reinventing the genre with the Apex Trilogy, Bethany and the Zombie Jesus, and Little Dead Man. Z-Burbia represents my first just straight zombie novel in the vein of Romero and such. No bells, no whistles, no changing the zombies into fast killers, or mutant virus zombies, or articulate zombies with hearts of gold just looking to be hugged and loved and- well you get the picture. Z-Burbia is about the good old zombie apocalypse and all that brings.
Of course, being Romero-esque, I couldn’t help but add the social satire. Romero took on the commercialism of American society by setting Dawn of the Dead in a mall. Classic! But what other truly American invention could possibly match up to the mall for commentary on our society? Oh, right, the suburb! And Z-Burbia was born!
Filled with plenty of action, gore, horror, social commentary, and a shit ton of humor and sarcasm, Z-Burbia was a blast to write and will be a blast to read! It’s the first in an open ended series, so this is something you’ll want to go ahead and get in on. This isn’t a trilogy, this is a series. Don’t wait for it to end before picking up the first book, because I’ll keep writing these as long as readers keep reading. And, yes, as soon as the paperback is available I’ll put it up on this site to order so you can get autographed copies straight from me. Huzzah!
Get to clicking that cover up yonder in the post and it’ll take, take, take you away to Amazonia and all the kindle ebook goodness that brings!
I hope you dig it. Be sure to let me know how you like it (and leave a review!) because feedback will help me shape the future of this series.
So some of you may have heard through my ramblings on various venues that I am now writing full time. This is most excellent. And 100% terrifying. No safety net (i.e. income) to catch me if I fail. But, as my wife and I have discussed, there is a shit ton of faith in this house! Take that however you want according to your personal philosophy, but I am a HUGE believer in the power of positive thought/prayer when it comes to getting through life. If I didn’t I wouldn’t be where I am with the amazing family I have and the amazing life I have.
But, the point of this post is to give a brief rundown of where things stand with Jake Bible Fiction. Here we go!
1. Natural Born Cyborgs- This is still happening! But due to my writing full time, I’ve had to set it off to the side so I can focus on projects that pay right now. Sorry. For those of you that have backed the project I will be sending y’all an email update with some very cool news. Very cool news. This will be WAY better than a Kickstarter or Indiegogo crowd funded project. But more on that later. Just know you will be very happy. Want in on the happiness? Then get to backing! Natural Born Cyborgs
2. The Apex Trilogy- Severed Press has done a wonderful job with the re-release of the Apex Trilogy. I know quite a few of you have asked how you can get signed copies of the new versions. I’ll be putting those back up for sale soon. The trick is international shipping. I don’t want to gouge folks, but then again I can’t take a loss on the sale in order to keep shipping costs down. If you are outside the US and still want copies, just know that the shipping will cost as much as the books. Sorry.
3. Audiobooks- Speaking of the Apex Trilogy, I do plan on re-recording the entire series and producing and releasing them as audiobooks. For those that have been waiting on Metal and Ash this is good news. Soon your earholes will be assaulted by the finale in the series. And by soon I mean…sometime in the future. You all know I quit podcasting my novels because of the intense amount of time it takes to put it all together. Same time issue with audiobooks. I have a couple projects I have to finish before I can sit down in front of the mic. But that time will come!
4. New Projects- While I can’t really talk about all the new projects I have in the works, the one I can talk about is my new straight up zombie series: Z-Burbia! I just sent in the manuscript to Severed Press and hopefully we’ll see a release in the next couple months. This is not a genre mash up. This is old school, Romero-esque zombies. The setting is in a subdivision just outside Asheville, NC. Write what you know! There is plenty of action, gore, zombies, and my personal favorite, CANNIBALS! Man, I do love me some cannibals. I should think of doing just a cannibal series. Hmmm… Anyhoo, you all will love this. I think the snark level I bring to this novel is my highest yet. How can you set the zombie apocalypse in a subdivision without some serious satire? You can’t!
5. Little Dead Man- I am bringing this novel up because it is getting close to Halloween. And this would make the perfect Halloween gift for your zombie loving teen or for yourself! What? You don’t give out Halloween gifts? For shame, people. For. Shame. Here’s the thing about Little Dead Man: it’s a freaking great novel. I have heard nothing but great feedback on this guy. It is the novel that got me a literary agent, folks. Worried because it’s YA that it won’t be your cup of tea? Don’t be! It has all of the Jake Bible elements! Zombies, cannibals, arena battles to the death (TO THE DEATH!), scavengers, mystery, action action action, shotguns, cannibals (yes, I said it twice), and, most of all, the completely original idea of having the protagonists be conjoined twins! One is a full grown seventeen year old boy, the other is his undead infant brother attached to the top of his spine! COME ON! That’s gold, people! So check it out, buy it, read it, love it! I know you will!
6. Cons- I plan on doing way more cons in 2014. Do you have a local one you like? Then send them my info! While I want to do more cons, they can be expensive. Right now I am looking at cons that invite me as a guest. This helps with expenses considerably. So go bug your local con and tell them they need some Jake Bible tainting their convention floor. I’d love to be able to meet more of you in person!
7. The Future- The future is good for Jake Bible Fiction. Audiobooks, a new series (maybe more), possibly getting into the gaming industry, Natural Born Cyborgs, and so much more! I am truly honored and blessed to be where I am right now. I have each and every one of you to thank for this. Couldn’t be here without you. So reach out, let me know what’s on your mind, what you like about Jake Bible Fiction and what you don’t, let me know what you’d like to see more of. Let’s chat. I know there are writers out there that aren’t very accessible, but I’m not one of those. You want to talk? I’m sitting right here in my captain’s chair at my desk. No, seriously, I have a captains chair. I dig it very much. Email, comment, tweet, FB message me, post on my wall, send carrier pigeon, whateves. I’ll be waiting!
That’s about it, folks. There is more, but I wanted to get this out there so y’all know what is going on. I’ll certainly try to keep the updates coming more frequently. But let’s not make this a one way street. Reach out if you want. I’m here.