The End. The Beginning.
Well, folks, as you are very aware, life never stays static. It never sits still and never waits for you to catch up. Life keeps on moving.
And with that movement (he he, I said movement), comes constant change.
For the past five years I have been lucky to have been given the gift of being able to write full time. Very few writers get that opportunity. Remember, only 5% of professional writers do it full time. The Arts is a tough career to crack.
With a kid in college, and one heading there soon, plus maybe a retirement at some point before Death takes me away in its bony clutches, we can no longer rely on my writing income to cut the mustard. That’s a saying. Cut the mustard. What was mustard like way back when they had to cut it? That’s some thick mustard. Crazy…
Anyhoo, I am now going back into the world of sales. I’ll be the sales manager for the retail division of A-B Emblem. Check them out. It’s gonna be a pretty cool gig, actually, and I’m looking forward to it. And being a sales manager means I’ll be working over 40 hours per week plus traveling to trade shows. Gonna cut down on my writing time. A lot.
Which means… Bullet point time!
- Expect the next Roak novel late Summer 2019.
- Expect the third/last Flipside Sagas novel late Fall 2019.
- There will be no new Z-Burbia novels. But stay tuned for news in 2019…
- The kaiju series is officially over. No 4th novel. 3rd novel didn’t sell, so no point in chasing bad money with good words.
- Team Grendel will be released in audiobook (5th and 6th books have never been narrated or released!), but if new novels happen it will be years from now. Years. Do not ask when. Years…
- There won’t be anymore Dead Mech or Fighting Iron novels or any continuation of any of the small series.
- Writing In Suburbia had its last episode released. After March I will be taking the podcast down. Download those episodes now!
- I’ll still be co-hosting the Asheville/WNC Writers Coffeehouse.
What does this mean for Jake Bible Fiction? Well, that’s a very good question. The newsletter will still be going out. I’ll still write some drabbles now and again, but not on a weekly basis. And all of the novels I’ve written will still be available for purchase! I’ve written 60 novels, 50 of them in the last five years, so I’m guessing there are some you haven’t read. Yes, I’m looking at you right there. You know who you are…
I know I have said that the only way you fail at writing is to quit, and this may seem like quitting to many of you, but it’s not. I have zero intention of quitting writing. I am simply quitting it as a full time, sole income gig. Just like 95% of the profession, I’ll be doing it part time and only when I can. Life and work and family and all that jazz comes first. There’s something to be said about the peace of mind that a stable income brings and I look forward to that peace of mind.
In the meantime, check out the lists of novels and audiobooks above. I have menu links, people! MENU LINKS! Get a book you haven’t read yet. Listen to the new versions of the MEGA audiobooks. Re-read my first novel (Dead Mech). Have fun!
And just know that this isn’t goodbye. Far from it. This is simply a reboot of what has been so far an amazing ride as a professional writer. Death and rebirth has been the major theme of my life for as long as I can remember. Welcome to the rebirth folks. I hope you enjoy the journey with me!
Oh, and if you are an author or publisher and you need custom patches made (YOU DO!) then hit me up. I can make that happen.
December 2018/January 2019